Monday 4 August 2014

Of lice and men

In the last post on this blog I wrote about the recent discovery of carpet beetle at the Old House Museum. In recognition of the centenary of the First World War, there is a display of WW1 uniform, as well as items of WW2 uniform in the museum. Many years ago I remember talking to one of my elderly neighbours.I knew very little about the Great War. I was familiar with the War Poets from English A level, but I hadn't yet discovered Vera Brittain's Testament of Youth. My neighbour was very familiar with the realities and described how she got rid of the lice in her brother's uniform when he returned home on leave, running a lighted match down the seams. The trenches were full of all kinds of vermin, from body lice to rats, as well as sewage and the rotting corpses of men and animals. It's unbearable to think of it, and infection quickly set in to any wounds or bites. Uniforms could also be boiled to clear them of lice, but it didn't get rid of the eggs, which soon hatched out and reinfested the soldiers on their return to the front. Today, August 4th 2014, marks the centenary of the declaration of war. You may light a candle of commemoration tonight. When you do, spare a thought for the mothers, sisters and wives who tried to make things more bearable for their men in uniform.

No comments:

Post a Comment